Access Pro Bono (“APB”) was formed in 2010 following the merger of two of BC's leading pro bono legal service providers, the Western Canada Society to Access Justice and Pro Bono Law of BC. APB's mission is to promote access to justice in BC by providing and fostering quality pro bono legal services for people and non-profit organizations of limited means.
Access Pro Bono's vision is of a justice system in which having limited means is not a barrier to obtaining quality legal services.
Access Pro Bono's mission is to promote access to justice in BC by providing and fostering quality pro bono legal services for people and non-profit organizations of limited means.
• 105 pro bono legal advice clinics operating in communities throughout BC, including remote locations by televideo.
• legal Representation through the BC-wide Roster Program, Civil Chambers Pro Bono Duty Counsel Project and Children's Lawyer Project.
• full insurance coverage for pro bono lawyers, and disbursement coverage for registered pro bono cases.
• support for law firms developing formal pro bono policies and programs, and for partnerships between law firms and community organizations.
• legal training and materials for pro bono lawyers through CLE courses, publications and web links.
• legal advocacy through annual events and media outreach.
Access Pro Bono provides a full range of pro bono legal services to thousands of low-income individuals in BC each year. These services benefit individual clients, but also contribute to the general well-being of BC communities. Pro bono legal services often prevent social problems from escalating beyond control. For example, they often provide the positive difference between people staying in their homes or becoming homeless, or receiving social assistance payments or begging for survival. As repeated legal aid cuts erode the legal safety net for British Columbians of limited means, pro bono legal services become increasingly vital. Your support is therefore greatly appreciated.
For more information, please visit www.accessprobono.ca